Google appears to be preparing to launch a newspaper feature called Google Play News, to complement the apps, music, books, magazines, and movies it already offers in its Android store.
News content will come in “Issues” and “Subscriptions” so the feature will be similar to Apple’s Newsstand service. Here’s how it all goes:
- To read Google Play News, you must have a supported Android phone or tablet.
- Please sign in to get this News edition.
- Please sign in to purchase this News Issue.
- Please sign in to purchase this News Edition Subscription.
- Subscribing you to this news edition…
- You have subscribed to this news edition. It is now available on your device.
The News section will most likely be colored in yellow.
Google may be killing off Google Reader in July 1st and pushing onwards with Google+, but that simply means the company is done with RSS. The company is still very much supporting the news industry; Google News and other similar services aren’t going away, while new ones are bound to show up too as the media world continues to evolve with the Web.