We are finally able to enjoy the 100th release on Brownswood Recordings – a straight-up retrospective of wonderful reworks from 2006 to 2013.
Of course, it had to include the classics from the OGs: Osunlade’s Yoruba Soul remix of ‘So Good Today’, thoroughly rinsed at the time and still sounding daisy fresh; Moodymann’s rub of José James; and the mighty Theo Parrish reworking Owiny Sigoma Band’s ‘Wires’. Then there are a clutch of younger cats who have steadily built sterling reputations in recent years, inspiring similar rushes of excitement and devotion amongst the new electronic generation: SBTRKT, Joy Orbison (his first ever remix!?), Machinedrum and George Fitzgerald. Not forgetting nuggets from certified Worldwide fam Quantic (repping Colombia); Michel Cleis (via Chile and Switzerland); and Ogris Debris (Vienna in the house!); plus Deep Medi’s Quest on a rumbling slo-mo disco tip.
There’s one brand new jam in amongst the golden archive material – Mala & Simbad’s Super Dub Mix of ‘Noches Sueños’ – a new remix from Mala’s ‘Mala in Cuba’ project. Pure steppaz vibes for the dance!
OK, here it is, enjoy!
01. José James – BLACKMAGIC (Joy Orbison’s Recreation)
02. Gang Colours – To Repel Ghosts (George Fitzgerald Remix)
03. Ghostpoet – Survive It (Quest Guidance Remix)
04. Ben Westbeech – So Good Today (Yoruba Soul Remix)
05. Gilles Peterson’s Havana Cultura Band – Rezando (Michel Cleis Remix)
06. Owiny Sigoma Band – Doyoi Nyajo Nam (Quantic Remix)
07. José James – WARRIOR (SBTRKT Remix)
08. Mala – Noches Sueños (Mala & Simbad Super Dub Mix)
09. Gang Colours – Fancy Restaurant (Machinedrum Remix)
10. Zara McFarlane – Until Tomorrow (Ogris Debris Remix)
11. José James – Desire (Moodymann Remix)
12. Owiny Sigoma Band – Wires (Theo Parrish Remix)